Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sarah's Latest Health Update

Yesterday, I went to see my endocrinologist, Dr. Fox to get the results of my thyroid bloodwork run last week. My TSH is currently 12, which is very high (hypoactive) for a normal person. But, considering it was at 97 in December when my organs were practically shutting down, 12 is great! She said it was sad that I felt so bad in December that this felt good to me! She increased the amount of thyroid medicine I'll be taking and will check my levels again in 4 months. She also checked my calcium and blood sugar, both of which were great. There was another level that showed up at 0, which was good because had there been any level there it would have meant I still had active thyroid cells and the radiation didn't get everything. Since it was 0, she feels confident the radiation worked and that is what we will see in December when we repeat my body scan. Also, Dr. Fox thinks that my high thyroid levels could be affecting my voice. She says when you are hypoactive you tend to swell more, which would be consistent with the fact I still have swelling in my thyroid area. She hopes that as my thyroid levels lower, the swelling will also and my voice will continue to get stronger. Like my surgeon, Dr. Hubbard, she feels that I will make a full vocal recovery - it just will take time ... All in all, I was pleased with the report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great congrats!!! It takes a while to get the levels correct, but once you get there everything gets easy from there.