Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Favorite Authors and Books

In the event anyone is looking for a good book to read, I thought I'd make a list of my favorite authors and my favorite books by them:

"Harry Potter" by J. K. Rowling - I've read them all twice and am convinced she is one of the best writers in the world, past or present, and these books are masterpieces

"The Color Purple" by Alice Walker - This book made a huge impression on me in high school and remains one of my absolute favorites

"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett - I read it before Oprah put it in her book club! I was super-sceptacle about a 900-page book about cathedral building, but you will be blown away by this book. It is an epic that you cannot put down and will never forget.

"Seabiscuit: An American Legend" by Laura Hillenbrand - She wrote this as non-fiction, but it is such a gripping story with a colorful cast of characters, especially for the horse-lovers out there.

"The Five Love Languages" by Dr. Gary Chapman - We got this book in pre-marital counseling, and it was one of the simplest most insightful books I've ever read having to do with understanding the needs of your friends and loved ones, and yourself.

"Smart Couples Finish Rich" by David Bach - I read this when we got married, and it is another simple self-help book that lays out a framework for managing your finances as a couple and preparing for retirement. He also has a version for single women or men and those starting out saving late in life.

"A Time to Kill" by John Grisham - While I love most of his novels, this first one of his remains my favorite. It's another one that made a strong impression on me at a young age.

"The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry - I found my new favorite author. He tells great stories, based on historical facts, that you just can't put down.

"Timeline" by Michael Crichton - Again, he's written many great books, but this one remains my favorite. I think I've read it three times. The movie didn't hold a candle to the text!

"The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown - Controversial though it may be, this was one well-written and thought out book. I've read it twice and would recommend you get the special edition with the pictures of all the things mentioned in the book

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt - Set in Savannah, and nonfiction for the most part, this is a wonderful and gripping story in so many ways.

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson - I like to refer to this book as funny science for dummies. Science was never my strong suit, but Bryson lays out a lot of interesting facts and teaches in an entertaining way.

Let me know if you have or do read any of these and what you think!

No comments: